Saturday, October 02, 2010

Delta Airlines lost my luggage and all I got was this lousy t-shirt*

Every now and again, my routine trips Stateside become an adventure.

Yesterday's trip was one of those days.

Due to some rough weather in JFK, I had to take a taxi to La Guardia to make my connecting flight to Chicago,  (why exactly an airport 20 minutes away by car was unaffected by weather is beyond me).

Delta did an admirable job of getting me to my destination only a few hours late, but as expected, my luggage didn't make the trip. I went into the baggage office to work out the details of getting my stuff sent to me, and requested an overnight bag. (It didn't seem that it was going to be offerred unless I asked).

I have to say, I was quite happy with the schwag within the bag:

  • 1 Disposable Blue Toothbrush with absurdly soft bristles
  • 1 4.25g (.15oz) pouch of Colgate Vacity Protection Toothpaste
  • 1 10g (0.35oz) pouch of Detergent (with instructions printed in mirrored fashion)
  • 1 Disposable Razor with 10ml (0.35oz) shaving cream
  • 4 Cotton Buds
  • 2 Cotton Swabs
  • 1 Foldable Hairbrush
  • 1 13g (0.46oz) Deodorant
  • 1 Large White SkyTeam T-Shirt
Also included was a card with a little apology in 10 languages, and a logo on the back that read "SkyTeam - Caring more about you"
"We regret that your baggage was not available on arrival. You may rest assured that we are doing everything possible to return it to you. we apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your understanding"
All in all? Not a bad bit of schwag to keep me going. The bag may replace my toiletries bag (assuming I ever see it again). Granted, the Toothbrush's bristles are so slight that I don't believe that 'bristle' is the correct nomenclature. The 'Large' t-shirt is absurdly oversized for this normally XL sized blogger, and there's no contact lens solution or toiletries so that the weary traveller doesn't have to go shopping before ending his 20-hour day of travel, but it's better than nothing.

It's been 24 hours since my original expected arrival time, and the bag has yet to materialize. If I'm kept waiting another day, I might stroll into the Delta Airlines Baggage Office completely starkers to protest.

No comments: